Sunday, April 15, 2012

to ask...

Our pastor recently posed an interesting question at church.  Would you rather ask someone for something or would you rather be asked for something?
We live in a fairly small town with a very interesting mix of people.  We have a 4-star hotel overlooking a gorgeous lake surrounded by volcanoes.  This attracts many wealthy tourists.  Lake Atitlan was created thousands of years ago by a volcanic eruption, which (apparently) creates good energy.  This attracts many good-energy-seeking people (aka hippies) who sit on the side of the street making jewelry and selling their goods (including marijuana) to any passerby.  Our town is the gateway to all 12 villages around our lake.  If you want to cross the lake it's easier, cheaper, and more comfortable to do it by boat (as opposed to dirt roads), so most people come to Pana first and then travel around the lake by boat.  This attracts lots of tourists of all backgrounds and all pay-grades.  This, in turn, attracts lots of Guatemalans (mostly Mayans) who come to Pana to sell their goods (scarves, weavings, jewelry, etc) to the tourists.  It's a big mix of lots of different people who come for lots of different reasons.

All that to say, I have white skin (in case you were wondering) so I am viewed as a tourist and so I am frequently asked to buy things and give things.  Every day at least one person (often more) appoaches me: buy a scarf? take a ride on a boat? give me one quetzal? give me food?  It quickly weighs on one's heart, on one's mind, and often on one's wallet.  Perhaps one of my greatest struggles here has been how to respond to so many requests.  But that's another blog post...

So I have a lot of people who ask me for a lot of things.  And that's just sellers on the street.  My job also includes interviewing people who come to our office and ask for help.  I quickly become overwhelmed.  I sadly realize how little I can do to help (if I buy a scarf from you, you're just going to be back here tomorrow still selling scarves to survive).  It's an emotionally taxing situation and if any of you have traveled anywhere in a developing country, you probably know what I'm talking about.  And we've all had our moments where we complain about the constant begging and pleading, but that's the part that humbly slaps me in the face now.

This is when my pastor's question went straight to my heart.  Which would you rather be?  Sure, it's difficult and trying to have so many people coming up to you (while you eat, while you read, while you walk) and continuously ask you to buy things or give them money.  But, honestly, how much harder is it to be the one who feels like you have no other option or resource so you spend your days going from stranger to stranger asking them for something...for anything.

Most of the street sellers here are indigenous mothers with a baby tied in a blanket on their back, a 5-year old in one hand, and a 40 pound basket of goods balanced perfectly on her head.  She comes up to you and reaches out her arm where about 20 scarves are hanging color-coded and she asks you to buy something. 


Or they're elderly women in their 70's, often shoeless, selling hand woven bracelets...

Have I become so self-involved that I honestly sympathize with myself in the above situation?  Have I completely disregarded my neighbor who has no education so she is forced to ask others?
I will hold my tongue the next time I become impatient with someone begging or trying to sell me something.  I will give myself a reality check and hopefully I'll have the patience and love to respond with respect and kindness.

1 comment:

  1. Very insightful, Jenny! These situations and questions have no easy solutions...but we can't stop reflecting and praying.

    ReplyDelete