Monday, April 30, 2012

As I wait...

Thank the good Lord for mountain top experiences. You know, those moments where you can feel God within you, where He overwhelms you with His love, and for just a moment all seems well with the world.

Several months ago David and I hiked a volcano here at Lake Atitlan with some friends. I knew it was going to be challenging, but the last 30 minutes of the hike took all of my physical and mental strength. I literally had to tell myself over and over again to move my legs. As we were approaching the summit we got pretty spread out. I couldn't see anyone in front of or behind me. All of a sudden our guide appeared in front of me, on top of several rock boulders. He reached his hand down to me and he helped me climb up onto the rock. He kissed me on the cheek (very common here) and said welcome to heaven. I looked around and saw no one, just trees and scenery. I walked a few more feet to the ledge and saw the most spectacular view from over 9,000 feet above sea level. It was awe-inspiring to be there with no one else around.  I soaked in that moment, just me and God, reveling in the beauty of His creation and His splendor.

Such moments aren't everyday, but when experienced they can almost change your perception of yourself and of God. I am beyond blessed to look back upon my life and see so many mountain top experiences where God was very real to me, where He intervened in my life, where He saved me over and over. In those moments it's easy to look back and feel confirmed that God was directing, He was present and teaching me.


But let's be honest, much of our lives are spent in the day-to-day. Walking to work, sitting at a computer, cooking meals, making the bed, and on and on the daily grind catches up with you and you're focused on just getting through the day. Or perhaps your days grow darker and darker. You experience pain, you feel alone, God feels distant. We've all been there. The past two weeks here have consisted of challenge after challenge and I am weary.


I'm learning, very slowly, that these dark valleys are great opportunities. I've realized the past few weeks that I don't just want to believe in the God of mountain top experiences. Those rare moments have showed me God's goodness and provision. But I want to - no, I need to - believe in the God of the dark valleys as well. When I feel alone and am left with my mind filled with doubts and questions, I need to depend on God just as if I was on top of that volcano. I need to stop expecting mountain top experiences to confirm to me that God is directing. I think I have grown too dependent on the great God of miracles and those miraculous moments are feeding my belief. I need to have faith to find God's direction and provision in the dark, silent valleys.

The past 2 weeks have been difficult for me. Work has been disappointing, families all around me are suffering, and death is always hard to comprehend. Over and over again I see people struggle, unable to overcome their poverty, their addictions, their broken relationships, their diseases, their unemployment, their hunger. I find myself longing for a miracle, I even find myself expecting God to provide in ways that He has in the past. But I'm learning to believe in God and not believe in my belief about God. We're all called to be faithful in the good and hard times, and that means believing that God is present and at work...even when He doesn't confirm that on a mountain top.

I've been forced to take a step back and really question who it is I believe God to be, and if that belief is based on mountain top experiences and ways He's miraculously provided for me or based on His Truth and Word. Because, let's be honest, there are moments in Biblical history where God didn't sweep in miraculously and rescue John the Baptist or take away all of Job's afflictions. When we are in the dark valleys, we have a rare opportunity to believe God is who He says He is, without the temptation to believe because He shows us on a mountain top. In that regard, the valley really is an opportunity for us all.

That's been my journey lately. I find I need to de-analyze my belief in who God is, get rid of my logical or common sense beliefs that fit nicely in my box, and return to a child-like faith that trusts in a faithful God who never leaves us.

This Sunday at church we sang one of my favorites: The Power of Your Love. The chorus struck me: "As I wait, I'll rise up like the eagle. And I will soar with You, Your Sprirt leads me on by the power of your LOVE."

As I wait. That seems to sum up much of our pain, questions, suffering. We are waiting. We have not arrived. We are in a temporary place that often brings pain. But we have a beautiful opportunity to trust in God as we wait. May God strengthen each of us to believe in His goodness no matter what trials we face as we wait here on this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment