Sunday, April 8, 2012

Because He lives...

This is our first Easter outside of the U.S. and it has been quite different. No Easter bunnies. No Easter dresses or hats. No coloring eggs (although we have enjoyed that tradition in the past!).


In my opinion, Easter is celebrated more in the Latin American culture. Schools close for atleast a week, streets close down for parades and processions, and many church services last until midnight or later. Sometimes in the States amidst busy schedules you can almost forget that Easter is approaching. And, in my experience, you definitely have to work hard at making time to reflect on the significance of this time of year.

But I feel like it's different here. Everyone looks forward to Easter and entire cities shut down to celebrate. Semana Santa (the week leading up to Easter) is a holy rememberance of Jesus's ultimate sacrifice. In a town where I have seen first-hand many sacrifices lived out each day, I am humbled and inspired to follow Jesus's ultimate act of sacrificial LOVE. Because He lives we don't have to draw back in fear and we can joyously join with Him in loving all of our neighbors: Guatemalan, North American, white, black, poor, rich, close by, or far away. He has overcome all pain, fear, and death to show us that loving one another is in fact worth everything. I'm humbled to call myself a follower of Christ and this week has once again shown me that there truly are no limits to the power of His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment