Wednesday, June 27, 2012

a birthday surprise

Celebrating my birth was a bit paradoxical after my recent experience visiting Rodrigo on his deathbed.  We actually spent the morning going to San Jorge to visit Rodrigo and his family.  Somehow, miraculously, he is still hanging on despite not eating for almost a week and only drinking spoonfuls of water.  While we were in San Jorge we also visited Santiago and his family.  The last time we visited them Santiago was working so he wasn't there.  It was great to be able to talk with him this time and see his family.  His grandson, Jefrey Javier, had a really bad rash that he was still recovering from, but he appeared happy nonetheless.


Then in the afternoon we went to church as normal.  Each week different people come to the services.  There are a few of us regulars, but there are always different visitors or different street kids who pop in from time to time.  Sunday was great because most of the regulars were in attendance and a few of my favorite street kids were there too.  Most of the time the kids come for the free coffee and cookies and then leave during the worship songs, missing the entire sermon.  But, for whatever reason, a few of them stuck around for the entire service on Sunday.  One of them, an 11-year old named Jesus, even shouted out an answer during the sermon and we were all impressed with his wisdom for such a young boy.

As always, the sermon was finished and we closed out with a song.  And then the worship leader stated that they'd like to end with one more song.  Happy Birthday filled the air and before I knew it the entire church was singing Happy Birthday to me.  And then a woman from the church carried out a chocolate birthday cake with candles.  I was so surprised!  My sweet husband had planned the whole thing and completely surprised me.  It's always great to have chocolate cake for your birthday, but what made it so special was that we were able to share the birthday cake with the entire church.  Little Jesus, the other kids who spend their days on the street selling knick-knacks, the recovering alcoholics, the gringos...the entire congregation was able to share together.

I was so happy watching the kids eat their cake.  I know it's rare for them to get sweet treats, so it basically made my entire day.  I was so surprised and overwhelmed when Jesus and his friend, Miguel, each brought me a gift!  Of course they had no idea that it was my birthday until the cake was served, but they each generously gave me a little gift from their stash of things they sell on the street, even though I know they really can't afford it.  I have been overwhelmed by the generosity of our Guatemalan friends who upon hearing it was my birthday gave me a gift.  It's overwhelming to see how those who really can't afford it give so generously!

My birthday gifts from Jesus (left) and Miguel (right)
In the back of our church there is a small room that has been converted into a "movie theater" with a screen projector, a few chairs, and big throw pillows.  I should explain that our church is actually a restaurant Monday-Saturday which closes on Sundays for our worship gathering.  After the service we had some time to kill before dinner so we let the street kids pick out a movie and we headed for the theater room.  The church/restaurant has a wall full of movies because they sometimes show movies on Tuesday nights.  It was fun to see the kids search through the rows and rows of movies and pick what they wanted.  Of all the movies, they settled on Pinocchio. ( :

It was really special being able to visit two families that have greatly impacted me and then to be able to share cake with a very diverse community.  I'm so thankful for a compassionate husband who creatively finds ways to give and share.  It was a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment