Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Actions Prompted by Values

We recently had a nice small group discussion with several other young expats living in Guatemala.  All of us grew up in the States, so we wanted to process thoughts regarding ways and ideas to connect and convey our experiences abroad in beneficial ways to friends and family.  The importance behind the subject lies within the fear that saying 'we lived simply' or 'we sacrificed making money' or 'we served', or something to that affect, would come across as being better than someone who hasn't done what we've done.

So here's what I'm thinking.  In no way whatsoever would I ever begin to share my experiences because I want to 'teach' something for reasons thinking I'm better.  I believe community is a very important aspect of life.  I believe sharing my experiences is a form of community, of which love is expressed.  If I weren't to share my experiences, then it would mean that I'm not contributing to our community (whether it's for an individual relationship, small group, workplace, etc).

I also believe that sharing isn't meant to be manipulated as a 'change' agent.  I recently 'liked' a quote posted on Facebook that said, "consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you'll have in trying to change others" (official quote by Jacob Braude).  I believe change is inevitable, and, better yet, a good thing.  We need change.  Look at history.  Before major advancements in technology, such as cellphones and internet, what were social lives like?  Change is always happening.  But change is always for an individual to be done by that individual.  I can't, or don't want to, force it upon you.  For example, just because the technology is available doesn't mean it changes me.  People change, whether knowingly or not, through their actions of participating in the technology.

So it's the same with sharing...the sharing, or conversing of experiences may help someone change, but the meaning behind sharing is to love and to engage, and sometimes to challenge, so what is said or shared doesn't change someone, but rather the person chooses to change or be influenced by what they heard, saw, etc.

In our small group discussion the topic of values arose.  What do we like about living in Guatemala?  We enjoy the beauty of the land, the small/local businesses, the friendliness of the people walking on the streets, no traffic, the work ethic of the laborers (who walk several miles with firewood bundled on their backs by a strap around their forehead), and the simplicity of day to day life (only needing to spend a few dollars a day, buying fruit or vegetables that are only available because they're in season, walking or riding a bike). But those are all things that people can achieve in their lifestyle in the States, as well, so why live in Guatemala?  We moved to Guatemala because we wanted to, because we had a lot to learn from the culture, because sometimes in the States we just lose focus of life by participating in 'too much'.

In reality, what does the generalized culture of the States value?  I mostly view it as power.  It's about setting yourself up to succeed, to achieve privilege and benefits.  So yes, to many opinions, Jenny and I moving to Guatemala is countercultural.  We've essentially diminished all opportunities to earn an income, or to move up the ladder within a company or workplace.  But that's not what we've been valuing.  Guatemala has meant so much to us because we've gained better understandings about poverty, about work ethic, about community, and about God.

I've been learning that I tend to look at my 'work' for satisfaction.  For example, I want to see results in the projects I do, so when I don't see those results or when work is slow or boring, I feel dissatisfied.  Now that I know I have that tendency, I've been able to slowly tweak my habit into refocusing my attention to God, and to the simple day to day opportunities that are always present.  Rather than expecting my personal achievements to fulfill me, why not let God fill me?  I don't know why that was so difficult for me to realize before, but being in Guatemala has helped me understand that.  I want to be honorable like the day-laborer who suffers back pain from carrying so much wood, but yet he does it because that's what he has to do.  It's how he can provide for his family, he doesn't do it for personal satisfaction...it's just work, after all.  Yet when you come across such a day-laborer, they seem full of life.

I believe that everyone has their experiences for a reason, and those reasons are good.  Just because someone does something different than me doesn't mean its disrespectful, like 'why aren't they doing it like me?'  Who cares why, everybody's got to do things as they know it, but we've got to use it as a learning opportunity and as an opportunity to be open-minded.  Because it's a given, what I know today I will someday know to be different.  God is constantly revealing himself, and the truth is we'll never fully know.

All that to say, we will be returning to the States someday, and I personally really look forward to it, except for the culture shock adjustments.  Even though we chose the unconventional, countercultural path by living in Guatemala, I have been able to make considerable professional strides; strides that I otherwise never would have come to see as an option.  In fact, I'm in the process of building my dream in starting my own business.  It'll be a fair trade business, that will hopefully be a longterm opportunity for us to maintain connections and relationships in Guatemala.  More info about the business and the launch of the website will come soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment