Monday, February 13, 2012

Jenny's Miss List

Here is my list of things I miss (not including any people or social activities) and I reserve the right to continue adding to this list at any time ( :
  • carpet
  • comfy couches that you can sink into, the kind where every square inch is covered in cushion and soft clothe (I only know three famlies here who have a couch, and they're made entirely of wood)
  • convenience (this includes a microwave, coffe maker, a phone that brings my emails straight to me, being able to turn on my stove without using a match, hot water from the kitchen sink, not having to disinfect every fruit/vegetable that we consume)
  • clean, drinkable water from the tap
  • hot, strong pressure showers
  • living in a home that is "sealed" off and does not have large cracks in the doors and roof (cracks that easily allow creatures to enter, creatures that should stay outside)
  • soft, chewy cookies (every cookie I've ever had in Guate is so hard you need to dunk it in coffee - so sad)
Things I don't miss:
  • mega-huge grocery stores and malls
  • commuting
  • TV remote controls (they make watching TV too easy, so you end up watching for so long)
  • car maintenance, car insurance, buying gas
  • cold weather
  • the entertainment industry
  • politics
  • speaking English all the time
  • $10 & up meals at restaurants (a nice meal here is about $4.50)
  • and I definitely don't miss all my stuff back home. Thinking of the boxes of things we have stored at our parents' homes is almost ironic. I can't really remember half of the things we left behind and we obviously don't need most of those things since we're living so easily without them...hmmm
So, that's what I've got thus far. But most of all, and hardest of all, I miss friends and family. The best of both worlds: everyone come down and visit us! ( :

    No comments:

    Post a Comment