Tuesday, February 7, 2012

David's Miss-List

Last week we were relaxing and catching up from busy schedules and we came to a point of reflection thinking about the "things we miss" back home (other than family and friends).

So here's my list of "what I miss":
1) Rally's french fries
2) Paved streets
3) Not seeing stray dogs
4) Being able to shop without being "begged" to buy something
5) Convenient drinking and teeth brushing water
6) an oven and microwave for cooking (we only have a gas stove top)
7) People being on time, informally (when you say 7pm, then that likely means the person will leave to come at 7, rather than arrive at 7)

Here's my list of "what I do not miss":
1) Constant advertisements
2) Driving: I like walking and riding my bike between places, or taking a tuk-tuk
3) Cold weather
4) Humidity
5) Smart-phones (I'm coming from the perspective that they are addictive and consuming of time...I've only used a Blackberry for one year prior to moving here...I even enjoy not having the quick access to text, because it helps rely on other, more natural communication)
6) the "staples" (i.e. Milk and Gas). Since we've lived here, we've paid $0 on gas and $6 on milk!  In five months, we've bought powdered milk 3 times (we only use it for cooking and cereal, though, no drinking)
7) Traffic, construction and stop-lights (our town does not have one stop-light...everything is common sense yielding or right of way, controlled by several patrol persons on different corners throughout town).

Not that that is my list of pros and cons of living here, but it is enlightening to become aware of cultural lifestyles and weigh the options of what is actually necessary as a way of creating personal or communal change.

It was very nice to be able to watch the Superbowl last weekend, however extra difficult to see all the special landscapes of Indianapolis. It looks like it was a very well hosted event, and made me miss the old-stomping ground quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment