Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Economic Dream

Tuk-Tuks are the common taxi's worldwide...from India to Guatemala.  You may not know it by name, but I'm sure you've seen one at some point (whether in movies or the streets).


We've only be in Guate for 7ish weeks, but I've already been brainstorming of ways to boost the local economy.  At this point I'm at a loss, however I thought I was onto something...to own a Tuk-Tuk and have my neighbor or other impoverished family drive and profit from it.  I researched my options only to learn that the city is not allowing any additional Tuk-Tuk's because there are already too many.  But the problem for the current drivers is that the owners are the only one's to profit.  It was reported to me that all Tuk-Tuk drivers pay their owner 100 Q (or about $15) for each day they drive the Tuk-Tuk, and then keep the remaining as their earnings.  Somedays the drivers don't receive 100 Q from their customers and have to pay their owner out of their pocket (a one way fare to ride in a Tuk-Tuk is 5 Q).

Unfortunately, the time has not come for me to be a Tuk-Tuk owner (in which case I would not charge my driver so much), so I'm back to the drawing board and trying to develop other ideas to give jobs to local Guatemalans.  The Tuk-Tuk was a dream, but in reality not a good one because driving a Tuk Tuk is common, just as weaving, beading, washing clothes, gardening, and selling textiles; what Guatemala needs is something that everybody else in town isn't doing and that doesn't cost a lot (because there is not a lot of money to go around).  Any suggestions?

In some towns that I've visited, stories were told to me as I looked around and observed that 'all' (i.e. a hight percentage) of the villages men migrated to the States because they were farmers and they no longer have jobs.  This culture is stressed economically, but loyal and hard working; they don't want to leave their homes, they're just out of options.  Many laborers only earn $10-15 per week, which provides a meal consisting of tortillas and salt when supporting a family of 6, and women selling and making textiles (beautifully made) only earn about $2 per day.


No comments:

Post a Comment