Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Tooth Surprise

Remember way back (a couple months ago) Jenny shared a little about the lent season and sacrificing.  As part of our recognition of Christ and leading up to Holy Week, we had both made small sacrificing of material things, or in this case a type of beverage or food.  Jenny gave up drinking all forms of soda for 40 days and I gave up eating gummies or fruit snacks!

Something ironic happened at the end of that period, which was the first week of April.  I was eating my first fruit snack since the beginning of those forty days, and as I chewed, the gummy became hard.  A hard gummy?  Yep, I thought it was a defective package, or had gone rotten in the box since it had been 'so' old (i.e. 40 days).  But guess what.  Within my gummy piece I found my tooth.  My whole tooth.  It just fell right out, and got stuck in my fruit snack.
This particular tooth had been troublesome years ago, so had a root canal procedure done, and it turns out that its not too uncommon for something like that to happen.  But what are the chances of it happening when I'm eating my first fruit snack in quite some time?

It was actually fun telling this story as it happened.  I used it as an example of how I becoming more Guatemalan every day...
Remember our good friend, Santiago.  Such as sweet man.
Plus, I've been sporting a 'braid' for about a month now, too.  I think I'm almost just like 'Sully' (from Dr Quinn Medicine Woman).
As is well now.  I have a replacement 'pin' inserted and the cap is back on.  Upon our arrival to the States I will get it re-examined.  I never thought going to the dentist in Guatemala would have been within my needs, but I am thankful it didn't turn out to be worse.

I can't quite get a solid picture of the 'after' results, but one thing is for sure...my new tooth is not perfect.  It finished to be a little 'too' high on my bite down and a little crooked...oh well.  I just have to be careful for a few more months.

No comments:

Post a Comment