Monday, December 12, 2011

Household Name?

The world is indeed a big place.  And within big places live many different types of lives.  Por ejemplo, a world event can happen and receive headline news status, yet not quite reach the ears of the whole world.  And how does that happen?  Well, some people live life without the luxuries of technology, without the luxury of breaks in their day's schedule to relax and watch the news, or without the basic ability to read.  So, is there such as thing as a household name?  I'm brought to this questions based on my reflection of listening to a sport commentator communicating the significance of a star athlete's performance.  Most recently, I can recall a commentator saying, "Dirk Nowitski is a household name, folks.  Around the world people are sitting in their kitchen saying his name".

When I was studying Spanish for a month and learning to talk in casual conversations with my teacher, the subject of entertainment and fame came up.  In my Spanish book, I translated questions from English to Spanish, questions that used real life scenarios such as people's names.  Newsflash: my teacher did not know who Oprah was.  He did not even know who Elvis was.  I couldn't believe it, especially since my teacher wasn't even Mayan, he was Guatemalan but Ladino, meaning not of traditional descent so he has lived with having a television his whole life, having gone to school, and he occasionally visits an internet cafe to connect to the web.

What's the lesson here?  I don't know if there is one.  I just hope we don't live our lives in ignorance thinking there is equality in the world or that just because we've obtained the 'luxuries' means we are 'better' in comparison.  Some communities here may be ignorant of 'what the world has to offer', in terms of luxuries, but they certainly still comprehend how to live and live it respectfully.  They know how to live with what they have, which is something not often found in the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment